John P Writer

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Reedsy Review


Disclaimer- This post is based upon my opinions and experience. This is meant for informational purposes and is in no way connected to Reedsy.com. 


A few months ago, a client asked me what I knew about Reedsy, a European based site that provides freelance writers and editors services for clients. They state that their freelancers are vetted and that they only provide services from top tiered providers.

So, I tried it out and put in my application- which essentially was material for my profile on Reedsy. The staff looked at it, asked some questions, and made some suggestions for changes. I then met with one of the owners via Skype and we had a lovely chat and I was in.

My profile went live on the site and I waited. Over the past two months I have received messages from two potential clients, and neither of them amounted to much, and in fact they just stopped responding.

The first potential client was not ready to write a book. They were waiting for funding and said maybe next year if they got funding they would be in touch- maybe.

The second potential buyer I felt was hunting for writers and editors for his own business.

There is a strict (but fair) rule about responding quickly to requests of potential clients, but I can say the same is not true of the clients. Clients can choose a number of potential providers at a time to talk to. One of things I did not like were clients wanting written samples of other ghostwritten pieces. Much of my work is already attached to my profile- which obviously they do not look at, and as a ghostwriter- most of my best work as a ghostwriter is under a NDA contract.

It seems that ghostwriting is a new addition to Reedsy, and so maybe they are still figuring out the process. They have now included a "contract" template that we are to use with clients. It seems to be better suited to editors and graphic artists which are the flagship for Reedsy.

I recently had another colleague that was wanting to find a content editor for her book. Reedsy is a good option for her to find a provider- and so I contacted them about their referral program. Their  referral program is a $25 credit. I say credit- because it can only be used on Reedsy Marketplace.

One thing I do like is their process of paying. It is set up through a system called Stripe (think PayPal). Once the client is set up, it automatically withdraws money on specified days and pays me. I wish I could do this with every client I work with. The only drawback is that it is another system to have to sign up for and it is not American based.

Overall, I would say that for people looking for someone to edit, format or design work on their book, this is a great resource. I can only advertise for one service on their site. I cannot also sell editing services. For a ghostwriter, it needs some work and a better understanding of how ghostwriters work and maybe some tweaks such as vetting potential clients.

Hopefully, I will have some more positive updates in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment