John P Writer

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Preparing for NaNoWriMo



I am going to attempt to write every day about my progress with my novel. I believe it will give an insight into the creative process, and the do's and don'ts of writing.

As a ghostwriter, I am writing books and being creative for others every day, for many hours. I have not written for myself in some time, but the process and how a book is created is pretty much the same. It is very similar whether it is fiction or it is non-fiction.  

To me, the easiest way to write is to create an outline. You  would not take a trip without plotting out your course, and in the end taking the time to plan saves time. When you have time to write- you know exactly what you are writing, rather than sitting and staring at a blank screen.

You have a plan.

My plan has been evolving for Mr Cheevers for four years. I never said this was a quick process. It was not until waking up this morning, that I woke up with the plot gelled in my brain. My brain has been working on it while I slept- isn't our subconscious brain AWESOME!

So I am scribbling out my plot points. I have already created character cards and settings (This is from my days as a Dungeon Master. No learning is lost! See Mom it was not a total waste of time).

So come November 1st, I will be ready.

Confessions of a Writer  

So, I bought a new laptop in preparation for NaNoWriMo. Last year I bought a desktop computer, but my laptop is like 7 years old. So now I am mobile- no excuses. I bought one with a smaller screen for mobility. My last laptop had a 17 inch screen and was watermelon heavy. 

I am using new software- Scrivener. so far I love it. I can plot everything out in one place. I will update how it goes. I have been able to create character cards, plots, settings, ect. all in one place, and with easy access as I write!!

Please PLEASE- donate to NaNoWriMo. I have to be the number 1 fundraiser--- but I need your help. I don't care if it is a dollar at a time. 

If you donate- mention this blog. I will send you a copy of Sticky Rice signed. This was the original short story that introduced Mr Cheevers. Also if you donate $50 or more, I will add you as a character in the book. So DONATE TODAY!!!  https://www.classy.org/fundraise?fcid=357815

No comments:

Post a Comment